Thursday, November 12, 2009

Progress Report II: The Bathroom Edition

Where does the King go alone?

The throne.

This progress report will focus on the bathroom. I built all of the cabinetry housing the shower, toilet and sink. Additionally, I chose to create my own custom shower stall using the spray foam technique I apply to line the fish holds of commercial fishing boats.

This system uses a 3-pound urethane spray-in-place foam that has a closed cell structure and is Zero-Ozone-Depleting. The sprayed foam expands as it cures, filling any gaps and fully self-adhering, forming a monolithic insulating barrier that is strong, lightweight, and durable. Next, the patented Masterbond-SP™ planing process yields a smooth superior surface for direct sealant application, producing a bond that is strong, non-bacteria supporting and capable of withstanding extreme abuse & temperature changes. Finally, SPI white/color-stable [to resist yellowing], food approved polyurea plastic is applied to minimum 100 mil thickness.

This is the shower stall before I applied the spray foam shell and polyurea plastic liner.

This is the same shot with the spray foam system in place. Here you can see a portion of the seat I formed with the foam.

Here I am enjoying a rest on the seat in the shower! I formed this seat by hand out of foam!

Spray foam is a very versatile substance. In the shower, I carved out a slot for soap, complete with a drainage notch, and built up a shelf for shampoo and such.

This is a close up of the carved out soap slot.

This is a close up of the shampoo shelf.

I installed a glass door to complete the shower stall.

This is the sink area.

Stay tuned for a future edition of the Progress Report where I'll show you the throne and the cabinetry in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment